Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Doing it for fun" by Owen Roberts

I have often found young people, so accustomed to being judged, frequently anticipating what a sexual health service will think of them.

From the reception desk, I have often observed young people display penitence to rival that of a novice in holy orders. "This won't happen again... I feel so stupid... oh no, I don't need the opening times, I won't be here again", all confessed with eyes cast downwards. This is clearly meant to disarm the disapproving service, so they won't be unkind to them and regard them as one of the undeserving, irresponsible sort. This used to sadden me so much; their experience of services, or the reputation of services, or the community's values which they felt were represented by the service, must have made such an approach seem expedient or appropriate. The idea that there is such a thing as an undeserving, irresponsible service-user out there reflects a host of negative ideas about young people and sex that "the age of permissiveness" has yet to sweep away, or is no way near as embedded as is often claimed! Similarly, in a consultation with a young man recently, we were discussing why people have sex and he was quick to "reassure" me: "oh no, I mean, you don't just do it for fun!"

It just goes to show that there is still a long way to go before a healthier message about sex gets really out there among young people.

Owen Roberts
Development Manager - Young People's Sexual Health Services Crickets Lane Clinic Ashton-under-Lyne
OL6 6NG
0161 343 0303

No comments: