Sunday, March 16, 2008

Julie Wray on SKINS

I (JULIE) am an absolute addict of the TV show ‘Skins’, it is brilliant. It is one of the few TV programmes where I simply find myself glued to the box!! In fact quite often I watch it with my teenage son and it provides an excellent trigger for us to talk and laugh about the issues. For anybody who has not seen it, this is a British teen drama aimed at young adults which in my mind is at the forefront of growing up in contemporary Britain. It is fast-paced and full of angst-ridden fun, this British drama is based on a group of Bristolian teenagers and their personal struggle with highly-charged issues of race, religion, sexuality, drugs and food disorders.

The issues are real and engaging – the story lines are not far fetched and the humour is amazing. For too long now we have become swamped by reality shows, for young people this makes me sad. Skins is a breath of fresh air. There are some excellent story lines, great acting and the issues covered are handled in a realistic and sensitive way. I think that this show could provide a superb education avenue for teachers, parents, young people and anyone concerned about young people. If nothing else have a look or visit http://www.channel4.com/video/skins/.

No comments: