Sunday, March 30, 2008

This week Julie Wray discusses the power of Rap music ‘Rap can play a positive part in giving out safer sex messages’.. You just have to listen

Normally I can’t stand rap music all that thudding and noise with foul lyrics – gross! My sons love it and they try to tell me that if I simply listened properly to the lyrics I would get it. I am reluctant to admit that it could be a sign of ageing on my part… but I don’t think so, I have not enjoyed most of what I have heard despite constant exposure to the stuff! Anyway the other day my son said listen to this track mum.. It is cool and there is a positive sexual health message for young people, you would like this one! He even suggested that Contraception Education considers using it as a signature track. The song in question is by Dr Evil called STD. Check it out:




In fact, I liked it and yes the lyrics are positive and there is a useful message for young people (well all people). Funny that something so simple can be so effective and that listening properly to the lyrics of a rap song shows that there is power in music. Maybe I need to listen more carefully in future and not judge all rap the same….. Like the saying ‘never judge a book by its cover’. I came across a research paper that explored rap music and sexual health with young people in the USA; it showed that rap has a major role to play within youth culture. I guess what we need to do is embrace the good messages and support the songs/tracks that rap has to offer.

No comments: